Monday, 16 May 2011

An update!

I hate to start an entry on a negative note, but I feel a bit sad that I have absolutely no drawings to post in this blog, and it's been weeks since I picked up my sketching pencils. There are several reasons for this but I think the main one is that I am a very one-track minded person and my current favourite creative hobby/obsession is photography. Consequently, I have no energy/time/desire to draw too. 

If I'm totally honest, the reason I tried to get into drawing again earlier this year was because I was feeling incredibly frustrated with my rubbish camera, to the point of being rather upset about it, so I tried to find another creative focus and it ended up being drawing/illustration. It distracted me for a short while, but it wasn't to be. I lost interest in it quickly. So, a few weeks ago I decided that, even though I have a rubbish income right now, it was time to dig into savings for the camera of my dreams.

This sounds corny, but I've really fallen in love with photography again. I go through phases of being obsessed with taking pictures and then phases of losing interest, but my new (and first) DSLR has made such a massive difference. I had previously been using an old Fujifilm Finepix camera (which I looked up on eBay and saw that people are selling it for around £5 - it's that good :P). I want to take pictures of everything at the moment! I've started a new 365 project on Flickr, and I'm hoping to buy a new lens soon so I can take some decent shots of the birds in our garden. I'm loving playing on Photoshop a lot too. :) I can't envisage me losing interest in photography anytime soon (or, ever).

I am considering re-designing this blog and making it more of a general blog or a photography blog, rather than focused on my drawings. I'm not sure if drawing and illustration are really my thing. I enjoy it sometimes, but there are so many things I struggle to draw, mainly people, which is a bit of a problem! I've tried again and again, but even when I had art lessons at school ten years ago and we had a life model to draw from, I never improved. I think it is simply one of those things that I can't do, and I can't very well get into illustration if I can't draw human beings. There are only so many fluffy bears people will want to see!

So, I'm not sure what to do with this blog next, or my Etsy for that matter, which I've totally lost faith in. Again, I might change its direction to only photography cards/prints, but I've got so many unsold cards I don't really know what to do with them and I don't want to spend any more money on it anytime soon.

All that said, I'm not saying I'm giving up on drawing totally, only that I'm not trying so hard to keep it up as my main hobby. I'll still keep drawing occasionally, and I might try to integrate some drawings with my photographs. I may also help my friend Fliss with the illustrations for a children's story she wants to write. That will be fun :D

Anyway, that's more than enough rambling from me for now. In the meantime, here are a few photographs I've taken recently. These are all taken with the 18-55mm lens that came with my new camera.

4 comments:

  1. hi Deborah :)
    i really liked reading your post and i can relate to it very much. but , first of all i want to tell you your drawings are really, really lovely!
    I do know how is to be both photography addict and illustrator/artist/doodle maniac :) and it can be quite impossible to be equally inspired to both at the same time.
    and i can also relate to having a struggle on drawing people- i graduated from academy of fine arts and i still couldn't draw a realistic portrait or nude if my life depended on it hahah
    i love photos taken with your new camera (although i think old ones taken with your point and shoot were wonderful as well) and i wish you good luck with all your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for your kind comment, Asja :) It is nice to know I am not alone in these worries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll miss your adorable drawings, but your photographs are beautiful. It's all about experimenting and finding what you love best. I'm trying the Etsy thing right now and so far it's not going so hot either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for your comment, Missy! I think I am going to try to find ways to incorporate my drawings into my photography, but I'm not sure how yet...

    I think that Etsy is definitely hard to break, I suppose it is all about finding a niche. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for commenting, I really appreciate it ♥