Sunday, 11 March 2012

The Bear Nobody Wanted

This week the theme for The Teleidoscope group is "forgotten". I knew I wanted to take a photograph with Toffee Bear in it. Toffee was given to my mum when she was 21, so he's 42 now and is looking a bit worse for wear. :( I had not really forgotten Toffee, but I knew he'd be a great prop for this theme. He has featured in my art work before. I did a large acrylic painting of him for my GCSE mock exam.


Anyway, here was my final picture. It took me a while to get this shot. I wasn't sure about the slightly odd crop of it at first. I think the crop works though because there is such a huge distance between Toffee and I, and the fact that half of me is cropped off emphasises the fact that I've forgotten about him and I am probably about to walk away from him. This has to be one of the saddest photos I've taken! 


The photo below was my reject shot. I'm glad I didn't use this as I think it's too sunny and pretty which didn't really go with the overall mood of the picture. I do love that spot in my parents' garden though. I take a lot of my pictures there because you get amazing bokeh light from the sun coming through the bushes. I'll miss taking photos there when I move away.


In case you were wondering, the title of photo is borrowed from this book that I read as a child. I remember it made me cry, so I knew it would be perfect for this photo.

************

I have a feeling that I am going to find it hard to keep up with my daily self-portrait project over the next few weeks, what with starting my new temp job this week (which is more hours than I expected!), and flat-hunting, and job-hunting, and moving, but I shall try my best to keep it going, even if most of my photos end up showing me packing boxes or whatever. I'd rather take lots of not very good photos or boring photos, than give up on another project entirely. Hopefully, once I have moved it will be exciting to seek out new places where I can take my photos! I might have to start being braver and take more photos out and about, as I won't have access to a private garden to play photography in any more.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you manage to keep your project going - you've taken some really great shots so far! This is probably my favourite as I do have a weakness for toys. Sounds like you've got busy but exciting times ahead. I hope it all goes well. I'm still finding it hard to take self-portraits out and about where other people are around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, hopefully it will all go smoothly. I'm glad you like the toffee picture. He's flattered that so many people like it. ;) Yeah, it's really hard taking self--portraits out and about. I'm not sure if i could do it with other people around, but I'm hoping when I move I'll be able to find a nice park with some quiet spots. Sherwood forest could be good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh yeah, Sherwood forest would be perfect for photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for commenting, I really appreciate it ♥