Thursday, 1 March 2012

February round-up & a new blog design!

Hooray, the new blog header is done and I made the little buttons on the side too. That little chalkboard I bought has proved to be a really versatile photo prop. I've got another idea for a blog design too which may look better, but I'll leave it like this for now. 

*************

Here are my self-portraits from February. I've struggled with them a bit the last week as job-hunting got a little stressful, but things have calmed down again now.


I think I've already written about most of my favourites from the last month here, apart from this one.


This was really fun to make because I'd had the idea in my head for ages so I knew exactly how I wanted it to look and I had waited all winter for it to snow so I could make it! I'm planning to make more photos using my home-baked biscuits as I have some other ideas. I think it would be fun to do a little Cookie Magic series. :)

***********

I've made a decision recently that I want to work harder on improving my Photoshop skills. Last week I had a really exciting interview for a job as a trainee photographer & photo editor in a creative family portrait studio. I didn't get the job, but I don't feel too upset as it was the first photography job I've applied for, and getting the interview has made me want a job like it even more. It has also reassured me that I can go for those kind of jobs, despite not having studied photography. A lot of adverts for photography jobs I've seen do ask for at least a BTEC diploma (equivalent to 3 A-levels, I think), as that one did, but it doesn't seem to be essential. It's clearly worth applying anyway. The interviewer seemed more interested in my portfolio and Photoshop skills than anything else, so I think they are the main things. 

I really like the idea of working in a studio someday, particularly one that creates such imaginative portraits that tell you a lot about the personalities of the people in them, rather than more traditional portraits. Although, I'd happily work in a studio shooting still life too or working purely as a photo editor would be awesome too.

As I try to improve my Photoshop skills, I'm considering using this blog to post some tutorials. I know not many people read this blog, but if they help just one person then they're worth doing. 

Anyway, even though I didn't get that photography job, I have a new temp job! I'm going to be working in Thorntons for a few weeks up until Easter. A big part of the job will be icing eggs and chocolates, so I'm looking forward to that. When I was 7 years old I wanted to work in a chocolate shop, so I'm fulfilling that dream at least. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for commenting, I really appreciate it ♥