Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Recipe: White Chocolate & Coconut Flapjack

I've not posted a recipe here before, but there's a first time for everything. :) I usually follow recipes in books but this one I adapted a bit to include my favourite flavours. I recently made a regular flapjack without coconut in, but I've found adding the coconut gives it a softer texture and makes it taste a bit sweeter too.




Ingredients:


175g unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
1 1/2 tbsp golden syrup
150g demerara sugar
200g porridge oats
50g desiccated coconut (and about 1 tspb extra for decoration)
pinch of salt
150g good quality white chocolate (I used Green & Blacks) 


Prepare a 25x20cm square baking tray by greasing it and lining it with baking paper.
Preheat the oven to 180 (fan oven)
In a large saucepan, melt the butter, syrup and sugar and keep stirring it until the butter has completely melted but the sugar is still grainy.
Remove it from the heat and stir in the porridge oats, salt and coconut. 
Mix well.
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tray and flatten it down with a knife so it is spread evenly and smoothed down.
Bake for around 18-25 minutes, depending how crispy you like your flapjacks. They should be a light golden colour and a bit darker around the edges.
Leave to cool.
Melt the chocolate slowly in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. (Or in a microwave if you prefer, although I once tried that and it caught fire, haha, so be careful :P)
Pour the melted chocolate on the flapjack and smooth to cover evenly. 
Sprinkle some more coconut on top for decoration.
Leave to set then cut into squares.
Have a nice sit down and eat a large piece with a cup of tea.



2 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous flapjacks! I used dark chocolate instead of white, and I had to improvise a bit as I only had sachets of porridge, so it has a slight cranberry flavour. But they were delicious! Thank you for the recipe! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome! glad they turned out well :)

      Delete

Thankyou for commenting, I really appreciate it ♥