Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Banoffee Cupcakes

This week I decided to make the banoffee cupcakes in the Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days book. 

They are supposed to have a banana sponge, with fresh banana in (mmm) and a caramel custard topping made with dulce de leche (tinned caramel).


I picked the recipe because it involves exactly the same process of making a custard topping as the raspberry trifle ones I made the other week. I had had a disaster with the custard on the first attempt, but the second attempt had been successful, so I thought I'd have no problems making one again. How wrong I was! On my first attempt this time I ended up with another lumpy mess, although I realised half way through making it that I'd been stirring it with a spoon, when I should've been using a whisk, d'oh! The second attempt did not work either for different reasons. It didn't come out lumpy but it came out way too thick and gloopy. It looked and tasted revolting. :( 

The problem may have been that as I was halving the entire recipe, I was having to measure very small amounts of flour and cornflour (about 15g of each) and my scales are not that accurate. :( Or I am just not very good at making custard and the raspberry trifle ones were a fluke! :P

So, instead of the caramel custard topping I decided to make a standard vanilla frosting. I wanted to use up some of the dulce de leche, so I decided to scoop out some of the banana sponges in the centres (using an apple corer) and filled the holes with the dulce de leche. Then I topped them with the vanilla frosting and some grated milk chocolate to decorate. 

At least, they turned out tasty in the end, even if I had to steer away from the original recipe!


I used Green & Black's organic milk chocolate on the tops. It is one of my favourites for baking. :)



Putting a dollop of dulce de leche in the centres seemed to work very well! I love cupcakes with gooey centres. :D




6 comments:

  1. These look amazing, I am SO bookmarking this post in my recipes folder so I remember to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Hope they turn out well for you! :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh they look so yummy! Well done rescuing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicous...the photos are beautiful :) What type of lens did you use to shoot these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! :) I used my only good lens, which is the Nikon af-s 35mm f/1.8

      Delete

Thankyou for commenting, I really appreciate it ♥