Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Stratford Butterfly Farm


As I mentioned in my over-excitement the other day, on Monday I visited a butterfly farm. We went to the one in Stratford-upon-Avon, and it was amazing! There were hundreds and hundreds of butterflies and it was so cool to be surrounded by them all. There were so many different types.



We stayed there well over an hour, but I could have happily spent a lot longer there photographing them. Next time, I'll try to go when it isn't the school holidays though, as it was quite crowded.



My 35mm lens can't get too close to them, and having a prime lens instead of a zoom one* means you have to do the moving, and often if I got too close they'd get scared and fly off, so photographing them was not very easy. I'm still happy with my shots, though. :)

(*Well, I do actually have an 18-55mm lens that came with my first dSLR, but I don't like it, so rarely use it, except for occasional nail art close-ups)



The highlight for me was getting to see some glass winged butterflies! They're quite tiny, and they were fluttering about so quickly, I didn't get a good shot of them, sadly. They look like this. Amazing, right?! I had seen a photo of them before on Twitter and it was awesome to see them for real. Next time I go back I'll try to get some decent shots of them.



As well as butterflies, there were also some huge iguanas in there, and there's an insect room with lots of spiders and locusts and things, if you like that kind of thing. I mostly stuck to the butterfly bit, to be honest. :P In the butterfly flight area, there were also loads of baby quails, which were funny little dumpy things. They kept wandering into the gift shop. They were so cute!



I can't recommend this butterfly farm enough. I'd been to Stratford a few times before, but to see Shakespeare's birthplace and to go to the theatre. This place is well worth a visit if you want to see something a bit different. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for commenting, I really appreciate it ♥