Friday, 22 November 2013

Making Photo Plans


Yesterday, I took some photos in the garden for the first time in weeks! I took some nature shots as well as self-portraits, which I'll edit later. In the last few months, I've had a bad case of "photographer's block", caused by a number of things. The last few days have been good though, as a couple of nice things happened. I'm starting to cheer up and look forward to Christmas. :)

I also really want to start taking photos more regularly again. I decided to write a practical list of things to help get myself out of this slump:

☀ buy a new lens. I've been using my 35mm for nearly 2 years now and it is a great lens, but I'd love to try a different one. I hope to get this one in December.

☀ do this December Daily photo project, created by Helen Ogbourn, again like last year. I really enjoyed it before. Christmas is my favourite time of the year, so I'm sure I'll enjoy doing the project for a second time.

☀ I've also bought this helpful e-book, which is also by Helen, on tips for a successful 365 project. She has written really useful month by month prompts for photo ideas. It will be such a big help because I really miss taking a photo everyday.

☀ make lots of trips to the German Christmas market in Birmingham. I look forward to the market every year, mainly for the food ;) but also, for the photo opportunities. I was only able to visit it once last year because of living in Nottingham, but this year, I can go as much as I like. I really must go visit it soon with my camera.

☀ make an inspiration bin full of photo ideas. I've already done this! I got the idea from Emily, and I thought it was a great and simple idea for those difficult days when I haven't a clue what to photograph.

☀ read Brooke Shaden's new book. Brooke's blog has become a favourite of mine this year. She is always so positive and I'm certain her book will be really inspiring. 

☀ attempt another 365, probably, to start in January. I've only once completed a 365, but to be honest, I cheated a lot, and most of the photos were awful (it was 6 years ago that I did it) and it was more of a "photo diary" back when I only had a little compact camera. Since then I've started and stopped various 365s. Next time I'm going to make it easier for myself by trying a totally mixed one, a mixture of self-portraits, portraits of others, nature, food, conceptual, still life...a bit of everything. If I make it more varied, and if I have a new lens too, hopefully, I'll feel more motivated to continue with it.

Well, that's all I've thought of so far. If anybody has any tips for me on how to get your photography mojo back, I'm all ears! :)

13 comments:

  1. Some lovely ideas in the links :) I've been a bit like you recently, can't remember the last time I properly went out with the camera, am hoping to get out this weekend. Blogging has taken a backseat at the moment as my desktop is packed away and will have to wait until March to get it out. I'm going to attempt a 365 next year too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame about your desktop. :( Glad you like the ideas, hope you find them useful for your 365 next year :)

      Delete
  2. How fab that you're getting your photo mojo back! Thank you for the mentions - I hope my ideas help :) I also like the idea of the photo bin too!

    The lens looks fab! I've used my dad's Nikkor 50mm f1.8 which was a bargain and it's great so I'm sure that will be too.

    I'm off to the German Market tomorrow (I must be mad going on a Saturday!) so hoping to get some nice pics :)

    Glad things are looking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you survived the market, yesterday! I was working and it was crazily busy in town. I think I'll go to the market one morning soon when it should be much quieter, and easier to take photos of the pretty things!

      Delete
  3. That's some great ideas. I'm currently in the beginning of working on a 365 project. i have my idea just need to get it in motion so your post has helped me greatly! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this so much! I've had serious photographer's block lately as well. It's so dark when I get out of work I feel like I can never get any good photos done. I need to make a list like this to get my mojo back! Thanks for the inspiration Deb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same, it's always dark/rubbish weather when I'm not at work, or I'm too tired. Glad you've found this post useful! :D

      Delete
  5. Glad to know the 'inspiration bin' has helped to lift the curse of 'photographer's block'. I know the feeling well... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I might try that photo-a-day challenge for December as well!

      Delete
    2. Yay! Taking festive photos is always good fun :D

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed reading about your photography plans! So exciting! I've been taking (an involuntary ) break from photography but hope to start shooting again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked the post, Asja! Hope you get back into photography again soon :D

      Delete

Thankyou for commenting, I really appreciate it ♥