Monday, 7 April 2014

Polaroid Close-Up Lens Filters Review

For a while, I'd been trying to decide whether the next lens I want to save up my pennies for should be a macro or telephoto. Then, I remembered about the existence of macro filters and my problem has quickly been solved! 


Macro filters screw on to the end of your lens, and work a bit like a magnifying glass, making it able for you to achieve the macro effect, without having to buy an actual macro lens. Yay! They come in different sizes too. I got the set to fit my 50mm lens.

I decided to give the Polaroid ones a whirl after reading about them on Kaylah's blog some time ago. She'd recommended them for photos of insects and mushrooms, so I thought they must be pretty good for all sorts of small subjects


You get 4 filters (+1, +2, +4 and +10 diopter) and they come in a padded case.


I've already used the +10 diopter to capture a variety of things...

Untitled


Untitled

Untitled

As the +10 is the most extreme close-up filter, I've only used that one so far. I'm sure the other three will have their uses for some subjects, though. I think they'll be useful for some of my nail art photos, for example. 

Obviously, I can't compare these to what a real macro lens could produce, but I am so impressed with the quality of them, and of the photos. For £14.99, they are an absolute bargain! I can't see a need for me to get a macro lens anymore. I definitely recommend them if, like me, you want to dip your toes into the world of macro photography, but don't want to pay very much. :) 

6 comments:

  1. that was a great buy for sure, all of your photos look awesome! i'd love to get some myself for taking macro pictures of ink or food dye in water. thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Asja! I can't recommend them enough. They are well worth the money :)

      Delete
  2. That is an awesome Idea! I've wanted to have something to take some macros with but was in no way going to buy an entirely separate lens. Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad you've found it useful :D

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review! I'm going to look into these.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for commenting, I really appreciate it ♥