Sunday, 17 January 2016

Ten Reasons Why I Love the Fuji Instax Mini 90 Neo Classic


In December my main present for birthday/Christmas from my parents was the Fuji Instax Mini 90 Neo Classic camera. It's the first instant camera I've owned in years. I used to have a Polaroid Joycam about twelve years ago until they stopped making the films for it, and years before that I had a couple of those Polaroid I-Zone sticker cameras, which were always good fun. I'd wanted to get a new instant camera for long time and I was originally going to get a Instax Mini 8 in blue, but the extra features on the Neo Classic version swayed me to opt for it instead.

1. Without a doubt my favourite thing about this camera is its ability to do double exposures. I've had so much fun with this feature already. You can get really creative with it and it's so great to be able to see the results right away. :D



2. It has a self-timer. This is definitely another good reason to get it over the cheaper Instax cameras.

3. It is possible to use both the self-timer setting and double exposure setting at the same time. This was something I was not sure would work before getting the camera. But, thankfully, it is possible to use both options at once, which means lots of double exposure self-portrait fun!



4. It has a few different exposure settings. They are quite basic (you can either lighten an image a bit, a lot or darken it) but they are useful settings to have particularly when taking double exposures. Of course, it depends on the weather, but generally you need to darken the second image so that the overall image won't be too over-exposed. (I forget to do this sometimes, though!)

5. It can be mounted on a tripod. This is always essential both for self-portraits and long exposure shots.



6. It has a few different shooting modes to help you get good photos for certain subjects, such as a landscape setting and a child action setting. So far I've only used the landscape setting, but it seems quite good. It is easy to select the mode you want with the simple buttons on the back.



7. It has a bulb setting for long-exposures. It's not something I would use often, but it's always good to have the option of it.

8. You have the option of turning off the flash. This is so important for me because I really don't like flashes. I've read that you can't turn it off on other Instax cameras although I don't know if that applies to all the other models or just some older ones. But, anyway, with this model there is a "no flash" setting, hooray! You just have to remember to turn it off otherwise it will fire automatically.


Cheesy pic with Shazia (with the flash turned off)


View of the snow in our garden earlier this morning (taken using landscape mode)

9. It's super stylish. The style of the Neo Classic is very retro and classy. I think that it looks a lot more grown-up than the other Instax Mini cameras. It comes in black too, but I love my brown version.


10. Obviously, this is true of all instant cameras, but it never stops being amazing to watch the photos develop before your eyes! Below is a quick video I made where you can watch this in action....



I've not yet found anything I don't like about this camera. It's really fun to experiment with. The only major downside is the cost of the films but that's to be expected with instant film photography. So far I've bought a lot of my films from Hema because I got some cheap when they did Black Friday deals, but you can get the film on tons of different websites, usually for around £15 for 2 packs (a total of 20 shots).

6 comments:

  1. I would love one of these cameras... sigh x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty awesome! :) Worth saving up for!

      Delete
  2. Oh man I love this review! I've had an Instax camera on my wishlist for what seems like forever. I think I'm finally going to pick one up this spring. Your review definitely helps me and I love all the cool features it has!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you get one eventually! They are worth the investment :)

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed reading this! Think I might have to get one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd enjoy playing with one! :D

      Delete

Thankyou for commenting, I really appreciate it ♥