Saturday, 13 August 2016

Where I Take My Bird Photos


It feels like forever since I dedicated much any time to photography, but I am hoping to get back into the swing of things in the autumn. I've been experiencing some very minor, but annoying, health problems over the summer, as well as having technical problems with my new laptop. There's nothing wrong with the laptop, but I am having trouble getting used to all the new software as I had a good photo-editing-rhythm with my old one that worked for me, and now it's all change as I am trying to work with RAW images for the first time. It is just taking me a long time to work everything out. 

Also, because I now work on a computer every day at work, I don't feel like spending much time on one in the evenings. Most weekends I've been busy doing other things, so I haven't really spent much time on the new laptop yet, other than to watch Netflix!

I am currently having a very lazy weekend at home, which I've been in need of for ages. I am catching up on lots of chores around the house, and of course, catching up on this blog. Today, I thought I would share a few photos of where I take all my bird photos.


I take all my bird photos from our kitchen window. We have several bird feeders very near to it. They were mostly quite expensive squirrel-proof feeders from the RSPB website, and they work pretty well. We still get the occasional young squirrel on them, but on the whole the squirrels have realised they can't get to the food and they stay away.


I always sit right up to the window so I can get as close as possible to the birds. Most of them don't seem to mind me sitting there, although I know they do see me.


For all my bird photos I use the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR lens. It's the only telephoto lens I own so I have nothing to compare it to, but it does the job. I don't use it for much else though, as I tend to stick to my prime lenses for everything else.





I always use my Gorillapod for bird photos. I am not very good at keeping the lens steady without it. It is actually the only thing I use my Gorillapod for. I had bought it several years ago and barely used it until I started photographing the birds.

I did manage to take a quick shot of a woodpecker the other day without it, which is just about in focus, but most of the time I use the Gorillapod. I only didn't for the woodpecker because he/she is extremely timid and flies away if I get too near the window, so it was a case of grabbing my camera and snapping it as quickly as possible before it saw me and flew off!



Ever since my dad got us these great feeders from the RSPB we have attracted so many beautiful birds to our garden! So far, in the last couple of years we have seen robins, blue tits, great tits, long-tailed tits, coal tits, blackbirds, magpies, pigeons, greenfinches, chaffinches, bullfinches, dunnocks, wrens, nuthatches, green woodpeckers and most recently, a greater spotted woodpecker. I always wonder what we will see next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for commenting, I really appreciate it ♥